Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Good-Bye

Hands down today was one of the hardest days in my life. Today, Wilson felt like it was 5000 miles from Rocky Mount. The drive with Bandit was sad and beautiful at the same time. He stuck his head out the window and let his jowls flap in the wind for the last time. I turned around in my seat and watched his boxer slobber dirty up my windows and I didn't care. Just seeing his eyes slant against the wind was one of the most beautiful sights.

We fed him pieces of steak on the way. He licked his chops after each piece and awaited the next. We got to the vet and Jason and I were able to be with him through to the end.

I worry for Scarlett. She's never know life without him. Come to think of it, Jason and I have hardly known our life together without him too. I can still picture the day we got in the car after excessive research by me on the breed and breeder, and Jason turned to me and said we can't just go "look at" puppies. Was I prepared to come home with a dog?..We were newlyweds married only 6 months. We will celebrate 10 years this August. A lifetime...

I will miss Bandit so much. It's hard to sit here and type and not look over to see him passed out on the couch. The tears still come...but time will heal.

I got a few cards today that made may heart soar. For those of you who have been down this road before us, thank you for offering your comforting words. Believe me...they have meant the world...

As everything else, time will heal this tender wound. I was just so thankful to come home to a faceful of wet kisses from Scarlett. We will give her extra hugs and kisses and keep her close for we are so thankful she is in our life.

For those of you who haven't walked this road...eventually the time will come. I will not lie. It is awful. So, hug your dogs. Give them bones. Love on them like there is no tomorrow. Because it comes much faster than you can ever imagine...and we enjoyed a full life with our Bandit.

Run, Bandit, Run. Enjoy yourself. Frolic and jump...and be sure to do laps so fast your belly drags the ground. I love you and will miss you terribly. You were the perfect dog. God Bless my old friend.

I love you...

No comments: